#ViveLaResistance!

#vivelaresistance -or- Please, Ban Me

Dear readers:

By now, you should all know about me and my tendency to often fight for the “right” thing. For better or for worse, I have a moral compass that is truly unique. When I see an injustice, I feel compelled to call it out. If I see a rule that doesn’t make sense I feel the need to say something. It’s not that I’m anti-authoritative, far from it, I think. I think authority is essential, in fact. But what’s equally crucial is consistency.

As we’re all aware, there’s been this big ‘thing’ going around twitter this week. According to some users, Twitter has been banning people for posting “follow trains” or “follow Friday” tweets and the like. They seem to be quoting a new rule that went into place in September of last year. In a nutshell, Twitter states in its terms of service (which can be found here) that users are prohibited from participating in “reciprocal inflation – trading or coordinating to exchange follows or Tweet engagements (including but not limited to participation in “follow trains,” “decks,” and “Retweet for Retweet” behaviour).”

So, why, I can hear you asking, am I against this policy? The problem in my eyes is that it aims to limit the SOCIAL NETWORKING side of a social media platform! If I’m not allowed to promote myself in a follow train or tell people to follow my friends, then what’s the purpose of using twitter? If that’s going to happen, I’d much rather move to a social networking site that doesn’t discourage this type of behaviour and move on.

I, for one, am not going to be afraid. I’m still going to post how I want to post. I’m still going to tell the world about my friends and my followers. I’m still going to socially network. And if by some chance, Twitter wants to ban me, I will make such a fuss that they’ll hear it across all platforms far and wide. As one person, I may not make much of a difference, but as a community, we can. Fight for what you believe in. Fight for what’s right. Fight for the resistance. #vivelaresistance

Spread the love