Interview with a Genasi: Part Four

I stood, slack-jawed, staring at the open window. Like a tsunami, I was hit with a wave of anger. His behaviour was childish, immature, unwarranted. But the feeling soon passed, and, in its wake, I found a sense of pity for Trench, which had washed up on the beach of my empathy. I wanted to be mad, furious even, but I couldn’t manage it. My mind kept returning to the pain and suffering he had endured.

It was days before I had heard from my Genasi friend again and the whole time I was beside myself with worry. How was it, I reflected, that in only a few short hours I became so attached to this strange creature? It was an odd feeling. I imagined myself as something like a barnacle stuck to the ship which navigated Trench’s life. At the oddest times, I’d find myself absentmindedly pressing play on my recorder, listening to our conversations. Sometimes in my car, or using the washroom, or, as happened the final time, in my kitchen.

I was making coffee. Looking into the black liquid I was reminded of his eyes. In much the same way a tidepool can be much deeper than it looks, so were Trench’s eyes. On the surface, they were shallow, shiny like obsidian. If you managed to see past the exterior, though, there was so much more. It was then, while I was lamenting on the hidden secrets his eyes held, that I heard his voice.

“I see. Well, I consider myself to be fair, clear and transparent, like-”

I turned on the spot as fast as I could, nearly sending my coffee mug flying across the room. I hoped I’d find him miraculously sitting in my kitchen, a grin splashed across his moist face, skin glistening in the light of the sun through the window. It wasn’t until I heard my own voice that I realized how disappointed I could be.

“-like the ocean?” I felt myself ask. But the words hadn’t come from my mouth. I had felt the vibration as I heard the words. Looking down at my free hand I saw the recorder, playing. A sad sigh escaped my lips.

“The ocean…” I repeated aloud. The idea burst from the depths of my subconscious, faster than a grey whale leaping from the ocean, silhouetted by the midday sun! There was no sea nearby. But there was a large river that ran through the city which would, if you followed it long enough, connect to the ocean on the coast. Barely giving myself enough time to grab my jacket I left the house. If I was right I knew exactly where I would find him.

To be continued in “Interview with a Genasi: Part Five”.

If you’re enjoying the series, check out Trench’s escapades with the other Misfits by checking out our D&D podcast at themisfitadventurers.com.

And if you’ve missed any of the parts get caught up with Part One, Part Two, and Part Three now!

Spread the love