An Average Star Wars Movie

Reviewing Criteria

Admittedly when it comes to movies, I’m not the hardest person in the world to please. I try to shy away from looking at films with a critical eye, and instead, I try to focus on them from an enjoyment perspective. Although the methods I use to review a movie are different than those of someone like Roger Ebert (he’s a famous movie critic from the ’80s and ’90s, kids), I think our conclusions often come out to the same end product, with my assessment perhaps being a little more kind towards the film. Some films are masterworks who don’t need this extra amount of consideration, as their craftsmanship speaks well enough for them. Other films, though, might be good, fun movies to watch, but not something you’d ever expect to win a ‘Best Picture’ nomination at the Academy Awards. Enter ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.’

Good Stuff

This is a movie that I’m legitimately pleased to say that I enjoyed. Echoing my statements from my first paragraph, let me caution my dear blog readers very quickly: this is not ‘Episode IV.’ Although the film is terrific in its own rights, I don’t feel that it presents anything that can be remotely described as new or ground-breaking. Certainly, the movie’s writer/director J.J. Abrams (Star Wars: Episode VII, Star Trek, and Cloverfield), did a very admirable job. The special effects were stunning, the story was moderately well written (if not a tad predictable within the first 25 minutes), and the cinematography was exceptional. However, there seemed to be a little bit of magic missing.

Some purist fans of the franchise will say it’s because George Lucas wasn’t really (if at all) involved in the project. They may claim that George, and George alone, would have been creative enough to keep the series on track. For those people, I have three words: The Phantom Menace. And if those three words aren’t enough, I have two more: Jar-Jar Binks. Me’sa will thank you for sitting down now.

Needs Improvement

I think if I was to find anything negative in the film, I could only pick out two specific items that bothered me. The first is **SMALL SPOILER** THAT kiss (quick side note, there is one kiss that’s between a same-sex couple, and that’s NOT the kiss I’m referring to. That one was fine, and Hallmark should take notice). You’ll know it when you see it because it’s cringe-worthy and weird, and just so *BLAH*. The second issue I have is with Mr. Abram’s tendency to include characters for ‘cheap pops’ (essentially lip service to fans). If you’re going to include places because they make sense to the story, that’s wonderful. But please remember fans are going to have expectations. This time around those expectations were not done justice.

The Verdict

All in all, ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’ is a movie I’d give four solid lightsabers out of five. See it to experience a fun, entertaining, captivating film. Don’t see it if you expect to see a movie that will earn J.J. Abrams an Academy Award for Best Picture.

Spread the love

One thought on “An Average Star Wars Movie