Milk, Eggs, Fabric Softener, and Sausages

Milk, eggs, fabric softener, and sausages. 

I repeat it to myself over and over, I can’t forget this time. It’s the third time I’ve had to go to Save-On this week, and if I come home without everything I was sent for, Renee is going to kill me for not paying attention. 

The wheel on the buggy starts to shimmy and shake as I slowly turn left into another aisle. 

Great. Just my luck. No problem, though. A quick stop here. In and out. I’ll manage. 

It’s been a long week for me, and I’ve had so much on my mind. My thoughts have been pulled between getting assignments done, helping the kids with their homework, and making sure my eldest and her baby are okay. I know I’ve been lax in my active listening, and I can see why Renee would be upset, but I feel like she needs to cut me some slack.

Two quick right turns and I find myself in the cereal aisle. But I didn’t need cereal, so I look around bewildered. Shrugging, I rationalize that we probably need cereal anyway, so I start going through the options in my head. 

G. likes Golden Grahams, but she said she ate half a box in a day last time…didn’t she? God, I can’t remember. When was this? Two days ago? I was sitting on the couch watching ‘The Boys’, and she was talking about cereal…or was she talking about serial killers? Someone named Graham…? I don’t know…I’ll just get Fruit Loops. I remember she was talking, and I thought I was paying attention…I was nodding…I know that…and I was confirming…but…was I pseudo listening? Shit. I can’t remember. It was about the time that one lady did that thing to the Deep. That was disturbing…

Milk, eggs, fabric softener, and sausages. That’s what I’m here for. Put the rest out…

I pick up the cereal, regardless of not remembering if someone needs it or not…I guess you can never have too much cereal. My trek through the treacherous territory of the supermarket is nearly complete. I know the end is in sight, but still, I repeat my mantra, just to be sure.

Milk, eggs, fabric softener, and orange juice.

No, wait. I think. That’s not right. It was sausages, not orange juice…or was it? 

I try and go back to the conversation from earlier in the morning. My wife, Renee, was angry. But about what? I was listening, I swear to myself, but was I hearing? Upon reflection, there was something about dishes, laundry, and socks, but maybe I was using insulated listening, I reflect, because I was avoiding subjects I didn’t want to talk about.

I’ll deal with it when I get home. I decide, ringing the items through the self-checkout.

Milk, eggs, fabric softener, and sausages. I got them all. I’m good.

As I get to the car, my cellphone rings. It’s my wife.

“Hey hun, I’ll be home soon. I’m just about to leave the supermarket.”

Renee happily sighs. I can sense relief in her voice. “Oh, good. I wasn’t sure you were hearing me this morning when I talked. Thanks for doing this, Rob. Without that butter, we wouldn’t be able to bake tonight, and I don’t have time to-“

I gulp. “Butter?”

Spread the love